Sunday, February 26, 2017

2017 Potentially Oscar Nominated Movies

Are the Oscars earlier this year or have I just lost track of all time? I have done terribly in terms of watching all the movies I want to see this year within the appropriate time frame. Just yesterday I realized the Oscars were TOMORROW and that I haven't written my yearly round up post yet because I'm not even close to finishing all the 2016 movies on my list. Alas, I have an excuse: graduate school. I have been in grad school non-stop since May of last year. I graduate in early May and if I haven't fully caught up by then, I'll have time but right now I can only speak to what I have seen. As with last year, I'm going to be using the "few words" format because grad student. 

Actually, as I'm looking through my movies, it seems I did see a lot of movies this year but a good portion of them were movies from the last six years that I missed and I had been catching up. I've been on this mission to really clean up my movie list since last year and that was part of the effort I was putting in. Hopefully, I will reach my goal of getting it to 200 films this year.

Also as with last year, I'm going to list movies I don't care to see. In a bit of an update from last year, I did end up watching The Big Short and I actually loved it so, of course, there is always a chance I may see any of these. But probably not.

Movies I Don't Really Care About:

Hacksaw Ridge: I probably would have wanted to see this (I like movies about suffering) had it not been for a very specific set of experiences. I work at a bookstore and for months before this movie came out I had people asking for the book (often by the wrong title or with just a description) and explaining that it was going to be a movie. When I looked it up, I realized that it is supposed to go in the Christian fiction section. My immediate assumption was that the movie was some niche thing that would be in few theaters and not get much recognition. Imagine my surprise. Even if this movie doesn't mention God or Jesus or religion once, I'm still pretty sure it's not how I want to spend my time.

Hell or High Water: I read the description at one time and was just overcome with not caring. Something about a western and bank robbery and I'm asleep. Sorry.

Jackie: I feel like I should want to see this, at least for the costumes, but I just can't bring myself to want to.

O.J.: Made In America: I kind of want to see this and it will probably win Best Documentary but it's eight hours long. I don't have the time. At least not now. Also how can something that long even qualify as a movie. . .

And the movies I haven't seen yet. As I see them, I will move them to the appropriate section.

Movies I Need To See:
After Spring (this doc was directed by a college friend's sister; no clue how I will see it though since it's only in selected cities nowhere near me)
Embrace Of The Serpent (technically last year)
The Handmaiden
The Little Prince
Neruda
Under The Shadow

And now the lists. Movies with a + were ones not nominated for Oscars. 

Previous Years: 2016  2015  2014  2013  2012  2011


Movies I Loved:

Moonlight: The cinematography and music choices made my life. Also, the last 30 minutes.

Hidden Figures: I was completely enthralled by this movie the entire time. And I cried slightly.

Arrival: Science fiction + language studies = I'm a happy camper.

13th: The only movie I gave 5 stars to this year. Didn't even have to think about it.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story: I went from really liking this movie to loving it the more I thought about it. Perhaps unfairly, the novelization may have colored my view but whatever.

Moana: The ocean is my life. And I wanted to cry at almost every song. 

Zootopia: I watched this. Then I watched it again two days later.

Sing Street+: This is just such a "me" movie. I'm hopelessly partial.

10 Cloverfield Lane+: Any thriller that makes me genuinely care about the characters and makes them behave like real people is doing something right. This one has layers.

Green Room+: Nazi punks, Nazi punks, Nazi punks, FUCK OFF. Also, see above comment.

Tower+: Really fascinating way to do a powerful documentary.


Movies I Really Liked:

The Lobster: One of the weirdest movies I've seen in a while. Very theater of the absurd.

La La Land: It seems like everyone loved ("it's so fun like a classic movie musical") or hated this ("fuck these boring white people"). I thought it was really good for reasons that no one is discussing but it's not without its flaws.

Fences: Performances: excellent. Direction: needed to be more creative to distance itself from the stage show.

Lion: A well done story but so transparently Oscar-baity if I'm being honest. Spent a lot of time staring at Dev Patel though so there's that. Glad David Wenham is getting work.

Captain Fantastic: I enjoyed the crap out of this. Kind of picked up some parenting ideas.

Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them: I appreciated this one more the more I thought about it and on a second watch. 

The White Helmets: Man, oh man.

The VVitch+: I'm weak for anything really historical. And witches. And demons.

Ghostbusters+: I laughed a lot. It was also distracting.

Deadpool+: Also laughed a lot. The only superhero movie I even thought to bother with. Well sorta (see far below).

The Neon Demon+: I thought this was better than "Only God Forgives." Still riding the Refn train. Got distracted a lot by Jena Malone until that one scene . . . (Note: I was a real pervert at the movies this year apparently)

The Nice Guys+: Solid Shane Blackness. No "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" but very similar.

A Street Cat Named Bob+: My heart was warmed exactly the right amount.

Eye In The Sky+: Tense. So tense. 

The Edge Of Seventeen+: I have been waiting for a teen movie like "Easy A" to happen again.

Weiner+: More thought provoking than I was expecting. The intersection of politics and personal lives.

Elle+: Verhoven is on his game. Violent and unsettling and engaging.

Paterson+: Quiet. Soft.

Love & Friendship+: Hilarious period drama.

Kubo And The Two Strings: Laika always does good work but never seems to get enough recognition. 

Finding Dory+: This was a fine sequel but I kind of can't remember it (Unlike Moana and Zootopia).


Movies I Liked:

Noctural Animals: I enjoyed this but felt like I missed the point of this film.

Florence Foster Jenkins: Perfectly fine biopic. Nice to see Nina Arianda in movies!

Imperium+: I predicted the end early but I was still on the edge of my seat for most of the film.

Hush+: Unique alteration for a horror film.


Movies I Thought Were Okay:

Nerve+: I watched it because I thought it'd be fun. It was.

Goat+: I like suffering. 

The Purge: Election Year+: I must watch every Purge movie. Such a good concept; Always pooly executed.

Me Before You+: Wanted to understand both why people like the book and why this film was controversial. It was actually better than expected but still kind of shlocky.

Pride And Prejudice And Zombies+: More 'watched because it was fun.' Great combination of things I like: period drama and ladies kicking ass.

Batman: The Killing Joke+: This should have been better. The first 30 minutes were absolutely shameful to Batgirl.


Movies I Thought Were Over-Rated:

Manchester By The Sea: It was okay. No idea why this movie is so praised. Casey Affleck is a bad person.


Movies I Didn't Like:

The Girl On The Train+: Only okay book. Not good movie. Love Emily Blunt though. She always does a good job.

Suicide Squad: What is plot? Why do I develop more than three characters? Can Jared Leto be more of a embarassment?

Pass Thru+: Neil Breen should be going down in history with Tommy Wiseau in the Bad Movie Hall Of Fame. Unfortunately this one wasn't as good delightfully bad as 2013's Fateful Findings. Actually, why did I put this in this category? I really liked this, just in the wrong way.

No comments:

Post a Comment