As someone who enjoys museums and has wandered into my fair
share of modern art museums, I am pretty accustomed to hearing people looking
at modern art and decrying it as nonsense (or praising something that seems
like nonsense to me as genius). I frequently drag friends to modern art
exhibits and for my friends who are less into the experience, I have a theory
that I turned into something of a game in order to make art critics of anyone.
People like to claim that art is such a spiritual thing that
it’s indefinable, but I don’t think this is true. Art is made by human hands,
not a message from the gods, and should not elude definition. I once heard
modern art described as the intersection of I-could-do-that and but-you-didn’t,
but while this may describe some modern art, it doesn’t actually define what
art is.
So here’s my theory. In order for something to be considered
art, you must be able to answer yes to one of these questions:
1. Is
it aesthetically pleasing to someone?
2. Did
it require a great amount of skill to create?
3. Does
it mean something symbolically?
Now, you can obviously answer yes to more than one of these
questions and I could actually argue that the more yeses you get, the less
likely you are to have the artistic merit of something challenged.
But I’m sure you can see a bit of a hitch in this theory:
all the questions are subjective. Correct. Art is, at its core, subjective and
thus the questions defining it will also be. If you genuinely don’t believe in
any standard of taste whatsoever, you might find the answering of these
questions to be completely impossible. But in order to actually get anywhere
with applying this theory, you need to at least be able to accept that your
taste may not be the taste of others and you should at least have some small
background in critically reading visual media. This is the baseline you need to
start from.
The first potential requirement is aesthetic pleasure. This
is the one that most requires a divorcing from personal taste. Just because you
might not enjoy looking at something, does not mean that everyone will not
enjoy looking at it. Of the three requirements, this is definitely the most
subjective but there are some examples I can use to try to get at how an art
piece can fail this requirement. I once saw a painted canvas in an art museum.
It was a single square canvas painted one uniform color. It was not part of any
other piece; that was the entire work. Even if you enjoy that color, it seemed
safe to me to say that there was nothing specifically aesthetic pleasing about
this single colored canvas.
The second requirement of technical skill is probably the
least subjective. It is not hard to look at something and determine that it is
something you could not do without a great deal of acquired skill in painting,
sculpture, metal work, crafting or what have you. The one real fault to this
criterion would be an ego on the part of the viewer who wildly overestimates
their own skill or who lacks any kind of knowledge of what creating a piece
entails. Notably though, there are a lot of modern art pieces that do fail this
requirement (hence the previously mentioned I-can-do-that idea).
The last requirement of meaning is somewhat subjective but
is definitely the requirement that asks the most of the viewer. Most people can
answer the first two questions quickly on a gut instinct from having lived in a
world of senses and experiences, but this last one requires not only
contemplation but also a measure of reading comprehension. Modern art especially
is often not meant to be taken at face value in the way traditional art it.
Aesthetics and skills are usually very apparent in traditional art where
priority was placed on creating something that would be difficult for anyone
else to make and which would fetch a high price for its decorative purposes.
Sometimes traditional art doesn’t have a meaning outside of it being something
skillfully made and nice to look at. Modern art, however, is commonly
determined on this criterion alone, which is why modern art is vastly more
mocked and underappreciated. Modern art that doesn’t quickly pass the test with
the first two requirements will find itself beholden to the interpretative
capabilities of the viewers.
It seems safe to say that modern art that fails the first
two tests always has a meaning intended by the artist. What you are actually
determining is whether a meaning is being conveyed. You are judging not the
ambiguous intention but the communication. Sometimes at art museums there will
be a little plaque next to a piece that will explain the meaning to a confused
viewer. Sometimes the meaning explained will justify the work just fine and you
will look back at the piece with an, “Oh” of understanding, if you decide that
the author’s purpose was clearly conveyed and also that it matters. Sometimes
you will look back at the piece and think that the justification isn’t in any
way clear in its representation and you have truly found something that is not
art. Sometimes there’s no plaque at all and you are left up to your own devices
and you really need to be mentally flexible to try to pull out a meaning. This
is where having a friend along is helpful for bouncing ideas off of. Maybe you
can’t read the piece as well as your friend can. If a meaning isn’t coming
through or an explained meaning is still unconvincing after explanation, the
piece is not art.
A prime example of something I have considered not art would
be Comedian by Maurizio Cattelan, the
now famous banana taped to a wall. Let’s run the test:
1. Is
it aesthetically pleasing to someone? I would have to say no. Perhaps you do
find a banana aesthetically pleasing but the juxtaposition of a banana and duct
tape isn’t reaching any real level of composition to create something
interesting to stare at.
2. Did it require skill to create? A big no there. While it might be kind of difficult
to do without crushing the banana if it’s quite ripe, this is something most
people have the ability to do.
3. Does
it mean something symbolically? After staring at it for a while, I got nothing
concrete. The artist has stated both that it represents “global trade, a double
entendre, as well as a classic device for humor” and that “it’s supposed to be
a banana.” Basically it means everything and nothing. When I first saw it I made
some joke about how it represents the duality of man and the battle between
intellect and the beast and it turns out my phony art critique impression was
just as valid as the artist’s actual explanation. You could try to argue that
the point is its silliness, bolstered by the title, but I really don’t think
there’s enough actual creative mental lifting here to make this piece worthy of
being called art.
Amusingly, Chipotle made a social media post as a joke of a
burrito taped to a wall after the banana from the piece was eaten. My brother
pointed out that the social media post actually does qualify as art because it
has a very clear meaning determinable by anyone with a basic understanding of
the piece it’s responding to: it’s a parody. I would also argue that if the
person who ate the banana claimed it was an act of performance art, I would
completely stand behind the banana eating as art. The meaning is clear: it’s an
act of showing the insignificance of the original piece. Or possibly it’s just
adding legitimacy to the Comedian
title. I can see an old comedy show where a bumbling joker accidently eats
something that was part of an art piece and gets in trouble for it by the art
world elites. It’s life imitating art.
So while the subjective world of art cannot totally be
demystified, this is a good place to start. I often find that when others
employ this method for the first time, they find themselves appreciating art in
a way they hadn’t before and become overall less dismissive of the pieces they don’t
understand.
No comments:
Post a Comment